The blood red ivy, high in the old 13th century castle keep, provides a colourful contrast against the green leaves, blue sky and cream of the brickwork. Perhaps the red symbolises the treachery and bloodshed that surrounded the castle during its history
and its many besiegements, including three during the English Civil War ! A castle has stood on this Tor since well before 1066 as it was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as having been given to the possession of William de Mohun.
Now maintained by the UK's National Trust
, the Castle, Gardens and village provide spectacular views of North Somerset and out over the Bristol Channel and the Severn Estuary.
Further panoramas of the Castle and gardens