The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh was founded in the 17th century as a ‘Physic Garden’, growing medicinal plants. Originally located in the Holyrood area of Edinburgh, the Garden moved to Leith and finally, settled and expanded in Inverleith in 1820. The work of the gardens continues to this day as a world renowned center for science and horticulture.
In 1820 the new location in the spacious grounds of "Inverleith House" were just outside the city, today the gardens form a oasis, landlocked by buildings just a short walk from the city center.
The oldest Glass House on the site dates from 1832, but our panorama is from the Temperate Palm House built in 1852, for the princely sum of £6000. At 23 metres high it is still the tallest palm house in Britain.