Worcester sauce wasn't always made at this location, for it's first 60 years, from 1837 it was made about a mile away in the center of Worcester. Then in 1897 they moved the production to the location you see here.
Originally when the sauce was made by John Wheeley Lea and William Henry Perrins (both dispensing chemists) is was dismissed by them. They were making the sauce for a local Lord who had returned from Bengal with the recipe and they decided to make a quantity for themselves too.
Finding the sauce unpalatable they left the storage jars in their cellar. A few years later they came across the jars, and before getting rid of them decided to try it again. To their surprise the sauce had matured into something completely different. They were soon bottling the sauce and in a matter of years it was in kitchens all across Europe.
For those interested the plaque to the left of the archway reads:
"In 1837 Messrs Lea & Perrins started manufacturing Worcestershire sauce at their premises in Broad Street, Worcester. It is still appreciated throughout the world today."
While the plaque to the right of the archway reads:
"This plaque was erected on 10th October 1997 to mark 100 years of manufacturing Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce at Midland Road, Worcester."