Like many other cities and towns on the coast of California, the first permanent structure in San Buenaventura was the mission. Missions were built to convert and educate the native populations of the Americas. After a term of service and indoctrination, the natives were intended to become productive citizens of colonial Spain. Mission San Buenaventura was built by the local Chumash Indians under the direction of Franciscan friar Junipero Serra. The first chapel was founded in 1782, but was destroyed by fire some years later. The church with attached bell tower visible in this panorama were not finished until 1809. To the left of the school is an archaeological site and the Albinger Archaeological Museum. The original mission foundation is preserved on these grounds. The two pine trees to the right of the bell tower are well over a century old. Also visible in this panorama, opposite the mission, is Mission Park and the Clocktower Inn.