The Shrewsbury Friends Meetinghouse in Shrewsbury, New Jersey has been a place of worship and sanctuary since it was founded in 1672.
Throughout their history Quakers here have worshiped in silence and
without the need for a minister. This explains the absence of a pulpit
in the Worship Room. The Quakers have always been a socially active
organization. During the period of Slavery in the United States, legend has it that this Friends Meetinghouse was part of the Underground Railroad, offering sanctuary to escaping slaves on their way to Canada from the Southern Slave States. The Quakers believe in pacifism and the Shrewsbury Meeting has held a Silent Witness for Peace on the corner of Sycamore Avenue and Broad Street in Shrewsbury on Sunday afternoons for the past 15 years.