Not the most spectacular sunset from this place (see below). However, this hill has become lower due to coal mining in the first half of the 20th century by 11 to 19 meters - it has set. This has caused the medieval chapel a few meters lower to break down. Its bell has been set up on the hilltop.
Even lower down the hill is a small medieval hamlet called La Crueize, which also not only broke down but also was cut from water supply. The last family left in 1956.
Around 1972, Augustin Thyssen, a Dutch linguist, began to rebuild some of the houses much in the old style in order to set up his very own ideas of a pig and sheep farm - after he discovered that there was still a well with drinkable water. In one of the houses we spent our spring holidays since 17 years now.
More Crueize panoramas: