Micro Panorama Thumbnail for Social Sharing Sites

Set

(July 1 – September 30, 2021)

John Wilson

Braintree Electric Forecourt

Andrew Varlamov

St Sophia's Belfry

Kremlin, Veliky Novgorod, Russia

August 16, 2021 - 8:08 GMT

Loading panorama viewer ...

© 2021 Andrew Varlamov, All Rights Reserved.

Help
Caption

Arched upper gallery of the belfry affords panoramic view of the Volkhov river and the Cathedral of St. Sophia. Two northern arches of belfry occupied by small and middle working bells, they were cast in 1991-1992. Central arch and two southern arches are empty today, but till 1941 giant bells tolled from its places. Their names are Prazdnichny (Festive) (it weighs 1614 poods or 25824 kg, it was cast in 1659), Voskresny (Sunday) (590 poods or 9449 kg, it was cast in 1839) and Vsednevny (Everyday) (300 poods or 4800 kg, it was cast in 1677). One floor down ancient bells are exhibited in museum. The hall itself and all exhibits are captioned in English as well as Russian. These common historic captions are given below on this page.

Location

Europe / Russia-Urals West

Lat: 58° 31' 17.02" N
Long: 31° 16' 39.162" E

→ maps.google.com [EXT]

Precision is: Medium. Nearby, but not to the last decimal.

Equipment

CameraPentax K-5 IILenses: smc PENTAX-DA Fish-Eye 1:3.5-4.5 10-17mm ED (IF)Tripod: Manfrotto 190XB; Panohead: Nodal Ninja 5; PC SoftwarePTGui Pro 10.0.18 by New House Internet Services B.V. (dated by April 17, 2018), Pano2QTVR Pro Flash version 1.6.6 by Thomas Rauscher

Museum caption (in Russian)

Софийская звонница Новгородского кремля - самое древнее и крупное из дошедших до нас архитектурных подколокольных сооружений. Сегодня это сложный архитектурный памятник, соединяющий в себе строительные напластования многих веков. Исследования Ю.В.Крушельницкого, проведённые в ходе послевоенной реставрации, и археологические раскопки С.В.Трояновского и Л.А.Корчагиной 1995 года позволили создать и уточнить представление об основных строительных периодах в жизни памятника.

Время создания первой каменной звонницы в кремле неизвестно. Новгородская летопись под 1437 годом сообщает только о её падении вместе с кремлёвской стеной, подмытой разлившимся Волховом. В 1439 году архиепископ Ефимий II поставил заново "колокольницу каменную на старом месте, на городе".

Звонница 1439 года имела в плане те же размеры, что и ныне, но была значительно ниже и имела в верхней части четыре столба и три пролета для развески колоколов. Западная пристройка появилась позднее. Восточная пристройка - три сводчатые камеры между звонницей и кремлёвской стеной, возможно, сооружена в конце XV века одновременно с возведением новых, кремлёвских стен.

В 1530-1540-х годах в связи с перестройкой кремля и развитием колокольно-литейного дела звонница подверглась реконструкции. Её сделали выще, количество столбов увеличили до шести, количество пролетов для колоколов - до пяти. Над каждым пролетом был сооружен восьмигранный кирпичный шатер. Западный и восточный фасады получили декоративные украшения.

Во второй половине XVII века на звоннице были проведены несколько ремонтов и перестроек. Для установки больших колоколов растесаны столбы-опоры; западная пристройка стала двухэтажной, появилось каменное крыльцо; фасады украсили новые декоративные элементы, в том числе, изразцы; шатры завершения были переделаны на высокие щипцы-фронтоны, увенчанные главками или крестами; с южной стороны был пристроен дом для звонарей.

В первой половине - вередине XVIII века звонница в духе модных архитектурных веяний того времени обрела завершение в виде бочки с одной главой.

В годы II мировой войны памятник получил серьёзные повреждения. Противоаварийные работы с частичной реставрацией проведены в 1945-1949 годах по проекту архитектора Ю.В.Крушельницкого. В 2000-2001 годах каменное крыльцо XVII века из-за плохого технического состояния разобрано и возведено заново в первоначальных формах, осуществлена вычинка и реставрация западной стены (архитекторы В.А.Дружинин, И.В.Богуцкая).

В 1992 году сессией Генеральной ассамблеи ЮНЕСКО Софийская звонница включена в Список всемирного культурного наследия. В 1998 году в составе Новгородского государственного объединенного музея-заповедника звонница отнесена к числу особо ценных объектов культурного наследия народов Российской Федерации.

---
Колокола были известны многим народам с глубокой древности. Церковное применение колоколов для сбора общины на богослужение начинается в Западной Европе с VI века, а в Византии с конца IX века.

В Новгороде появление колоколов следует связывать со строительством Софийского собора. В 1066 году напавший на Новгород полоцкий князь Всеслав взял город "с женами и съ детми и колоколы съима у святыя Софие".

В XI-XV веках новгородцы пользовались колоколами, купленными за границей. Колокола были небольшими. Сохранился единственный такой колокол итальянской работы, привезенный, по преданию, в 1106 году основателем первого монастыря в Новгороде Антонием Римлянином, он экспонируется сегодня в Новгородском музее и весит 20 килограммов.

В 1342 году повелением архиепископа Василия для Софийского собора впервые был отлит колокол в Новгороде,но лил его итальянский мастер Бориска Римлянин. Об участии русских мастеров в изготовлении колоколов известно лишь с XVI века. Их имена мы узнаём из надписей на сохранившихся колоколах и письменных источников.

В Новгороде первые отечественные колокола лили псковские мастера-литейщики Михаил Андреев с сыновьями Матвеем и Кузьмой, Тимофей и Тихон Андреевы, Василий и Иоаким Ивановы, Прокопий Григорьев и Афанасий Панкратьев.

Одновременно с псковичами работал первый новгородский колокольный мастер Иван, живший на Городище. В 1554 году он отлил "чумной" колокол для Знаменской церкви, в 1557 году с другим мастером Филиппом лил 70-ти пудовый колокол для ц.Филиппа Апостола, а в 1566 году вместе с пасынком Митею отлил два колокола для ц.Вознесения на Прусской улице.

В XVI веке лили колокола новгородские мастера Васка да Юшко Поберешковы, мастер Ян Дьячков, мастер Юрь Улиов. Из письменных источников известны также имена новгородских колокольных мастеров Тимофея, Илейки, Нечайки, Дмитрия Кононова, Филиппа Иевлева. В XVII веке лили кололока в Новгороде Ермолай Васильев, Иван Туров, Иван Антипьев, Иван Ладыгин. В это же время здесь работали две больших семейных артели: Матвеевы - Дмитрий, Михаил и Иван, и Леонтьевы - Федор, Яков и Василий.

Все колокола до XVII века использовались для очепного звона. Они намертво крепились к валу на колокольне, звонари через вал раскачивали колокол, его стенки ударялись о колокольный язык и рождали ровные, мерные звуки.

Со второй половины XVII века широкое распространение получил языковой звон. При нем веревка крепилась не к валу, а к языку колокола, и звонарь получал звук, раскачивая язык и ударяя им в стенки колокола. Несмотря на массивность и внушительные размеры, колокола - очень нежный и хрупкий музыкальный инструмент. Из многих сотен колоколов, изготовленных для новгородсикх храмов за восемь с половиной столетий, до нас дошли немногим более двадцати. Большинство колоколов естественным образом "избились" - раскололись в процессе звона. Многие - погибли при пожарах. В Смутное время в 1611-1617 годах новгородские колокола вывозили в качестве военных трофеев шведские оккупанты. В 1701-1710 годах во время Северной войны десятки новгородских колоколов по указу царя Петра I были перелиты в пушки.

Самый большой урон колокольному наследию был нанесен в 1930-е годы, когда коммунистической партией большевиков было принято решение сдать в металлолом и продать за границу "за ненадобностью" все колокола, кроме колоколов иностранного производства. В Новгородском округе были уничтожены колокола общим весом более 500 000 кг. Новгородскому музею удалось сохранить лишь часть древних колоколов, находившихся на Софийской звоннице, колокольнях Знаменского и Никольского соборов, Хутынского, Духова и Колмова монастырей.

Перед оккупацией Новгорода в 1941 году малые колокола Софийской звонницы были эвакуированы в г.Кириллов. Большие колокола эвакуировать не удалось, и они всю войну пролежали на берегу Волхова.

Сегодня сохранившееся колокола Великого Новгорода экспонируются в Софийской звоннице, Валдайском музее колоколов и Кирилло-Белозерском музее-заповеднике.

Useful links
Museum caption (in English)

St Sophia's Belfry is the oldest of the large bell-towers which have survived from the Middle Ages. Today, this intricate architectoral monument comprises traces of cultural layers of many years. Yu.E.Krushelnitsky's research carried out in the process of the post-war restoration and the archeological excavation of S.V.Troyanovsky and L.A.Korchagina in 1995 have enabled the scholars to elaborate a convincing conception of how and when the belfry was constructed and reconstructed, extended and embellished.

When the first stone belfry was built in the citadel is not known. The Novgorod chronicle only mentions in the entry for the year 1437 that the River Volkhov flooded in spring and caused part of the citadel wall to collapse and with it the belfry. Two years later, in 1439, Archbishop Euphymius II erected a new belfry on the site of the old one, "on the gorod" (i.e. on the citadel wall), to quoye the chronicle.

The belfry of 1439 had in its plan the same dimensions as the present one, but it was considerably lower and had in its upper part four pillars and three arches for the bells. Its western extension was built at a later date and its eastern annexe - three vaults between the belfry and the citadel wall - was probably built at the close of the 15th century when new Kremlin walls were also being raised.

Between 1530 and 1540 owing to the reconstruction of the citadel and the development of bell-casting, the belfry was rebuilt. It became taller, it had now six pillars linked by five arches for the bells. The resulting five narrow archways were surrounded by octagonal stone tent-shaped roofs. The west and east fronts were richly ornamented.

In the second half of the 17th century, the belfry underwent several repairs and renovations. To take the new, much heavier bells, the belfry pillars were made wider, the west extension became two-storeyd, a stone entrance porch was added; the facades received new decorative elements, tiles among them; the tent-shaped towers were replaced by high pointed gables surmounted by cupolas or crosses; a house for bell-ringers was annexed to the south wall.

By the mid-18th century, the belfry had acquired - in accordance with the fashionable architectoral spirit of the day - its barrel-shaped top with a single dome.

During the Second World War, the belfry was severely damaged. Partial restoration and conservation works after Yu.E.Krushelnitsky's design were carried out in 1945-1949. Between 2000 and 2001 the stone entrance porch of the 17th century on account of its poor state of preservation was demolished and restored to its original aspect; the western wall was renovated and restored (by the architects Y.A.Druzhinin and I.V.Bogutskaya).

In 1992 at the session of the UNESCO General Assembly, St Sophia's belfry was entered in the List of the World Cultural Heritage. In 1998 the belfry as part and parcel of the Novgorod State Museum-Reserve became one of the most valuable items of the Russian Federation's cultural heritage.

---
People in many parts of the world were familiar with bells as early as ancient times. The church began to ring bells to summon the congregation for prayers in th 6th century in Western Europe and late in the 9th century in Byzantium.

In Novgorod bells first appeared when the Cathedral of St Sophia was erected. As the chronicle has it in 1066 the Polotsk Prince Vseslav seized the city "with all her wives and children and pulled down St Sophia's bells".

From the 11th down to the 15th century, the Novgorodians had to buy their church bells abroad. These bells were not large in size. One of them, cast by Italian master craftsmen has survived to our day. According to the legend, it was brought by Anthony the Roman who became the founder of the first monastery in Novgorod. The bell weighs 20 kilograms and is currently exhibited in the Museum.

In 1342 by the command of Archbishop Vassily, the first bell was cast in mould for the Cathedral of St Sophia but, however, it was wrought by an Italian master, Boriska the Roman by name. Russian bell-casters came to the fore only in the 16th century. Their names have come down to us in their inscriptions on tne preserved bells and in various written sources.

The first bells in Novgorod were founded by the Pskov masters Michael Andreyev, his sons and their associates. In 1554 a native of Novgorod, master Ivan moulded the so-called "plague" bell for the Church of Our Lady of the Sign, in 1557 he and master Philip wrought a heavy bell (about 1150 kg) for the Church of the Apostle Philip; in 1566 Ivan and his stepson Mitya cast two bells for the Church of the Ascension of Christ in Prussian Street.

In the 16th and 17th centuries, bells were founded both by single masters and family teams. Written records have preserved their names: Dmitry Kononov, Ivan Ladygin, Ivan Turov, the Matveyevs, the Leontyevs and others.

Until the 17th century all the bells were firmly fixed to the shaft of a belfry; the bell-ringers were swinging the bell to and fro, its walls were striking the tongue of the bell and thus regular and measured sounds were produced.

From the second half of the 17th century onwards, the so-called "tongue" chiming became widespread. Now the rope was fastened tightly not to the shaft but to the tongue of the bell; the bell-ringer was swinging the tongue of the bell beating it against its walls, and a melodious ringing was born.

Despite their massiveness and impressive size, bells are but very fragile and brittle musical instruments. Out of many hundreds of bells made for Novgorod's churches over the period of eight centuries and half, only twenty or so bells with-stood the ravages of time. Most bells became "naturally beaten up and battered" - they cracked and cleaved over the long years of theis faithful service. Quite a number of bells were destroyed in numerous fires. During the Troubled Times of 1611-1617, Novgorod's bells were taken away as spoils of war by the Swedish invaders. Between 1701 and 1710 during the Northern War, Peter the Great ordered scores and scores of the city's bells to be melted down for guns.

But the greatest damage to our bell heritage was caused in the 1930s, when the Communist Party decreed that all bells should be dismantled, turned into scrap metal and sold - as not wanted - abroad. Only the foreign-made bells were spared. The Novgorod Museum has managed to preserve only a handfull of the old bells formerly belonging to St Sophia's belfry and to the bell-towers in the Cathedrals of St Nicholas, of the Sign and in the Holy Spirit, Kolmovo and Khutyn Monasteries.

Before the occupation of Novgorod in 1941, the preserved little bells of St Sophia's belfry were evacuated to the town of Kirillovo, but the city defenders failed to evacuate the big ones, and they were left lying on the River Volkhov bank until the city's liberation in 1944.

Today the extant bells of Novgorod are displayed in St Sophia's belfry, in the Bells Museum at Valday and in the Kirillovo-Belosersk Museum-Reserve.

PLEASE RESPECT THE ARTIST’S WORK. All images are copyright by the individual photographers, unless stated otherwise. Use in any way other than viewing on this web site is prohibited unless permission is obtained from the individual photographer. If you're interested in using a panorama, be it for non-profit or commercial purposes, please contact the individual photographer. The WWP can neither negotiate for, nor speak on behalf of its participants. The overall site is copyright by the World Wide Panorama Foundation, a California Public Benefit Corporation. Webdesign © by Martin Geier www.geiervisuell.com