A defensive Tower House built in the late 14th century by John de Crichton as a family home.
Consisting of 4 buildings round an internal courtyard, it is an excellent example of Scottish architecture from this time.
The castle's most distinctive feature is its Italian-influenced courtyard façade, which forms part of the north range (visible in the sunny side of the courtyard). This is the most notable feature of the castles design by Francis Stewart, who had travelled to Italy.
In 1956, the castle was given into state care by its owner, Major Henry Callander of Preston Hall, it is now a Scheduled Ancient Monument administered by Historic Scotland.
The castle was used as a location in the 1995 film Rob Roy.
4 GoPro HERO2 cameras, with a wooden camera cradle/rig to hold the cameras
in exactly the correct position is triggered by 4
syncronisers. Suspended below a Dopero kite with 10ft/3m span.
This technique produces two hemispheres, and a different workflow in PTGui from the
classic ground pano technique. This results in extra effort BUT impossible angles!