Back on Nevsky Avenue is one of the finest architectural monuments in Saint-Petersburg the Kazansky Cathedral, designed and erected in 1801-1811 by the architect Andrey Voronikhin. The architect has created a magnificent edifice (height- 71.6m, length- 72.5m), with its main building facing onto Nevsky Avenue. The cathedral with its semicircular Corinthian colonade (96 thirteen-metre-high columns) is the dominant feature in one
of the most elegant squares of the city.
Huge bas-reliefs, approximately 15 metres long and almost two metres high, depicting Biblical subjects, grace the two butt-ends of the building facing into Nevsky Avenue. The bas-relief above the left butt-end of the building was executed by the famous Russian sculptor Ivan Martos on the subject Moses Parting the Waters, the one above the right butt-end is a depiction of the Brozen Serpent by the sculptor Ivan Prokofyev.
The cathedral's highly artistic interior decoration consisting of 56 monolithic red granite columns and a mosaic floor composed of multifarious Karelian marbles are bound to produce an imforgettable impression on you. The cathedral's interior is the work of Vladimir Borovikovsky, Orest Kiprensky and other outstanding Russian artists of the beginning of the 19th century.
Kazansky Cathedral is very elegant one, the one with class and chic. There are a lot of paradoxes in history, just a couple of decades ago it served as atheism museum, nowadays it is back as a church with wonder-working icon of Our Lady of Kazan' inside; there is as well a tomb of Kutuzov, well known Russian commander and one can see the original keys of all the fortresses he conquered.