Micro Panorama Thumbnail for Social Sharing Sites

Best of 2006

(January 1st - December 31st, 2006)

Maurizio Castelli

Dia Sotto le Stelle

Alessandro Castagna

PanoGRAFIA del Palazzo Chiericati e Teatro Olimpico

Piazza Matteotti, Vicenza, Italy

November 11, 2006 - 6:05 local time

Loading panorama viewer ...

© 2006 Alessandro Castagna, All Rights Reserved.


...English language...

Teatro Olimpico Vicenza (1580)

Founded in 1556, the Accademia Olimpica would have to wait over twenty years before it managed to construct a permanent venue to host the theatrical representations until then staged using ephemeral wooden structures in palace courtyards or inside the salone of the Palazzo della Ragione. Only in 1580, in fact, did the Accademia set in motion building works for the theatre (on a land near the Isola given up by the City Council of Vicenza), according to the project of their own academician, Andrea Palladio. However, in August of that year, the architect died without being able to see the outcome of his labours, finished by his son Silla. After Palladio, it fell to Vincenzo Scamozzi to intervene in the theatre, inserting beyond the proscenium the sets (prepared for the inaugural representation of 1585, The Seven roads of Thebes) which were thereafter destined to remain an integral part of the building. Recent studies have demonstrated that the original Palladian project made provision only for a single perspectival backdrop on axis with the central portal of the proscenium, while painted backdrops were intended to fill the two lateral openings. The caesura of the two flanking walls, and the “soffitto [ceiling] alla ducale” above the stage, also date from the era of the Palladian project. The Teatro Olimpico was the concrete realization of a dream, until then never achieved, of generations of Renaissance humanists and architects: to execute in permanent form one of the buildings that had become a symbol of the classical cultural tradition. The Palladian project reconstructed the Roman theatre with an archaeological precision founded on the thorough study of Vitruvius’ text and the ruins of ancient theatrical complexes. In this sense it constitutes a sort of spiritual testament to the great Vicentine architect. With the Teatro Olimpico was reborn the theatre of the Ancients, and in its creation Palladio attained an absolute consonance with the language of great classical architecture, a language in which, over an entire lifetime, “with long labours, and great industry and love”, he had sought to rediscover the laws of secret harmony.

Address Piazza Matteotti Vicenza

Visit June 19 to September 30: Tuesday to Sunday 10am-7pm October 1 to June 18: Tuesday to Sunday 9am-5pm tel. +39.0444.323781

...Italian language...

Teatro Olimpico Vicenza (1580)

Fondata nel 1556, l'Accademia Olimpica dovette attendere oltre vent'anni per riuscire a costruire un edificio teatrale stabile che potesse ospitare le rappresentazioni sino ad allora messe in scena in effimere strutture di legno nei cortili dei palazzi o nel salone del Palazzo della Ragione. Solamente nel 1580 infatti l'Accademia dà inizio, su un terreno presso l'Isola ceduto dal Comune di Vicenza, al cantiere del teatro su progetto del proprio accademico Andrea Palladio. Ma nell'agosto dello stesso anno l'architetto muore senza poter vedere la fine dei lavori, conclusi dal figlio Silla. Dopo Palladio, è Vincenzo Scamozzi a intervenire sul teatro inserendo oltre la scena le scenografie allestite per la rappresentazione inaugurale del 1585, le Sette vie di Tebe, destinate a diventare parte integrante dell'edificio. Studi recenti hanno dimostrato che l'originale progetto palladiano prevedeva solamente un'unica prospettiva sviluppata in corrispondenza della porta centrale della scena, mentre nei due varchi laterali dovevano trovare posto fondali dipinti. Al tempo stesso risale al progetto palladiano la cesura delle due ali di muro e il soffitto "alla ducale" sopra il proscenio. Con il teatro Olimpico si avvera sogno, sino ad allora irrealizzato, di generazioni di umanisti e architetti rinascimentali: erigere in forma stabile uno degli edifici simbolo della tradizione culturale classica. Il progetto palladiano ricostruisce il teatro dei romani con una precisione archeologica fondata sullo studio accurato del testo di Vitruvio e delle rovine dei complessi teatrali antichi. In ciò costituisce una sorta di testamento spirituale del grande architetto vicentino. Con l'Olimpico rinasce il teatro degli Antichi, e nel progettarlo Palladio raggiunge una consonanza assoluta con il linguaggio della grande architettura classica, di cui per una vita intera "con lunga fatica, e gran diligenza e amore" aveva cercato di ritrovare le leggi della segreta armonia.

Indirizzo Piazza Matteotti Vicenza

Visite Da martedì a domenica Dal 19 giugno al 30 settembre 10-19, dal 1 ottobre al 18 giugno 9-17 tel. +39.0444.323781

Palazzo Chiericati Vicenza (1550)

In November 1550, Girolamo Chiericati recorded a payment to Palladio in his own “account book” for the designs of his palace in the city, sketched out at the beginning of the year. In the same month, Girolamo was appointed to supervise the administration of the building works on the Loggias of the Basilica, inaugurated in May 1549. This coincidence was not remotely casual: along with Trissino, Chiericati was among those who sponsored entrusting this prestigious public commission to the young architect, for whose interests he had personally fought in the Council, and to whom he would turn for the design of his own home. Moreover, a few years later his brother Giovanni would also commission from Palladio the villa at Vancimuglio. In 1546 Girolamo had inherited a few old houses looking onto the so-called “Piazza dell’Isola”, an open space on the southern outskirts of the city, which owed its name to the fact that it was bordered on two sides by the Retrone and the Bacchiglione, whose courses flowed into each other. As the city’s river port, the “Isola” was the seat of the timber and cattle markets. The tiny size of the old existing houses induced Girolamo to ask the City Council for permission to utilise a strip of roughly four and a half metres of public land in front of his properties in order to realise the portico of his house on the site, but guaranteeing its public use. Once the request was accepted building work begun immediately in 1551, only to halt in 1557 on the death of Girolamo, whose son Valerio limited himself to decorating the internal spaces, employing an extraordinary équipe of artists which included Ridolfi, Zelotti, Fasolo, Forbicini and Battista Franco. For more than a century Palazzo Chiericati remained a majestic fragment (similar to the present state of the Palazzo Porto in the Piazza Castello) interrupted half way along its fourth bay, as documented in the Pianta Angelica and voyagers’ sketchbooks. Only at the end of the Seicento would it be completed according to the design in the Quattro Libri. Several autograph drawings by Palladio survive to record the evolution of the project, from the first solution where the portico projects only at the centre of the façade (as well as being capped by a pediment, like that later executed on the Villa Cornaro) to the actual one. The plan was determined by the site’s narrow dimensions: a central bi-apsidal atrium is flanked by two nuclei of three rooms of harmonically linked dimensions (3:2; 1:1; 3:5), each with its own spiral service stair and a further, monumental one to one side of the back loggia (another element which will return in the Villa Pisani and Villa Cornaro). To endow the building with magnificence, but also to protect it from the frequent floods (and from the cattle sold in front of the palace on market days), Palladio raised the palace on a podium, whose central section displays a stairway clearly adapted from an antique temple. The extraordinary novelty which the Palazzo Chiericati offers in the panorama of renaissance urban residences owes a great deal to Palladio’s capacity to interpret the site on which it rises: a great open space on the margins of the city, in front of the river, a context which rendered it an ambiguous building, simultaneously palazzo and villa suburbana. It is no coincidence that many affinities exist with the Villa Cornaro at Piombino and the Villa Pisani at Montagnana, which were moreover constructed during the same years. On the Piazza dell’Isola, Palladio set a façade with a two-storey loggia capable of visually holding the open space, and which also established one side of a hypothetical, ancient, Roman Forum. Even though superimposed loggias are present in Peruzzi’s Palazzo Massimo in Rome and in the Antique Courtyard of the Bo by Moroni in Padua, the use to which Palladio puts them on the façade of the Palazzo Chiericati is absolutely unheralded in terms of its power and expressive awareness. The Basilica and Palazzo Chiericati represent Palladio’s definitive passage from the eclecticism of his early years to the full maturity of a language where the stimuli and sources of both the Antique and contemporary architecture are absorbed into a system by now specifically Palladian. This is the first occasion on which the loggia flank is closed by a wall section containing an arch: a solution adopted from the Portico di Ottavia in Rome which will thereafter become usual practice in the pronaos of his villas.

Address Piazza Matteotti Vicenza

Visit June 19 to September 30: Tuesday to Sunday 10am-7pm October 1 to June 18: Tuesday to Sunday 9am-5pm tel. +39.0444.325071

...Italian language...

Palazzo Chiericati Vicenza (1550)

Nel novembre del 1550, Girolamo Chiericati registra nel proprio “libro dei conti” un pagamento a favore di Palladio per i progetti del proprio palazzo in città, tracciati all’inizio dell’anno. Nello stesso mese, Girolamo è chiamato a sovraintendere la gestione del cantiere delle Logge della Basilica, inauguratosi nel maggio del 1549. Tale coincidenza non è affatto casuale: insieme a Trissino, il Chiericati era tra i fautori dell’affidamento del prestigioso incarico pubblico al giovane architetto, per il quale si era battuto in prima persona in Consiglio, e a lui ricorreva per la propria abitazione privata. Del resto anche suo fratello Giovanni, pochi anni più tardi, commissionerà a Palladio la villa di Vancimuglio. Nel 1546 Girolamo aveva ottenuto in eredità alcune vecchie case prospicienti la cosiddetta “piazza dell’Isola”, uno spazio aperto all’estremità est della città, che doveva il proprio nome all’essere circondato su due lati dal corso del Retrone e dal Bacchiglione, che confluivano l’uno nell’altro: porto fluviale cittadino, l’Isola era sede del mercato di legname e bestiame. L’esiguità del corpo delle vecchie case spinge Girolamo a chiedere al Consiglio cittadino di poter utilizzare una fascia di circa quattro metri e mezzo di suolo comunale antistante le sue proprietà per realizzarvi il porticato della propria abitazione, garantendone una disponibilità pubblica. All’accoglimento dell’istanza segue l’immediato avvio del cantiere nel 1551, per arrestarsi nel 1557 alla morte di Girolamo, il cui figlio Valerio si limita a decorare gli ambienti interni, coinvolgendo una straordinaria équipe di artisti: Ridolfi, Zelotti, Fasolo, Forbicini e Battista Franco. Per più di un secolo palazzo Chiericati rimane un maestoso frammento (simile all’attuale palazzo Porto in piazza Castello) interrotto a metà della quarta campata, così come documentano la Pianta Angelica e i taccuini dei viaggiatori. Solo alla fine del Seicento sarà completato secondo la tavola dei Quattro Libri. Esistono diversi autografi palladiani che restituiscono l’evolversi del progetto, da una prima soluzione dove il portico aggetta solamente al centro della facciata (per altro coperto da un timpano, come sarà per villa Cornaro) sino a quella attuale. La pianta è determinata dalle strette dimensioni del sito: un atrio biabsidato centrale è fiancheggiato da due nuclei di tre stanze con dimensioni armonicamente legate (3:2; 1:1; 3:5), ognuna con una scala a chiocciola di servizio e una monumentale al lato della loggia posteriore (un altro elemento che tornerà nelle ville Pisani e Cornaro). Per conferire magnificenza all’edificio, ma anche per proteggerlo dalle frequenti inondazioni (e dai bovini che venivano venduti davanti al palazzo nei giorni di mercato), Palladio lo solleva su un podio, che nella parte centrale mostra una scalinata chiaramente mutuata da un tempio antico. La straordinaria novità costituita da palazzo Chiericati nel panorama delle residenze urbane rinascimentali deve moltissimo alla capacità palladiana di interpretare il luogo in cui sorge: un grande spazio aperto ai margini della città, davanti al fiume, un contesto che lo rende un edificio ambiguo, palazzo e villa suburbana insieme: non a caso sono molte le affinità con le ville Cornaro a Piombino e Pisani a Montagnana, per altro costruite negli stessi anni. Sulla piazza dell’Isola Palladio imposta una facciata a doppio ordine di logge in grado di reggere visivamente lo spazio aperto, e che si pone come elemento di un ipotetico fronte di un Foro romano antico. Sebbene logge sovrapposte siano presenti in palazzo Massimo a Roma del Peruzzi e nel Cortile antico del Bo di Moroni a Padova, l’uso che di esse ne fa Palladio nella facciata di palazzo Chiericati è qualcosa di assolutamente inedito per forza e consapevolezza espressiva. La Basilica e palazzo Chiericati rappresentano il passaggio definitivo dall’eclettismo dei primi anni alla piena maturità di un linguaggio dove stimoli e fonti provenienti dall’Antico e dalle architetture contemporanee sono assorbiti in un sistema ormai specificatamente palladiano. Compare qui per la prima volta la chiusura del fianco delle logge con un tratto di muro in cui si apre un’arcata: una soluzione mutuata dal Portico di Ottavia a Roma che diventerà usuale nei pronai delle ville.

Indirizzo Piazza Matteotti Vicenza

Visite Da martedì a domenica Dal 19 giugno al 30 settembre 10 -19, dal 1 ottobre al 18 giugno 9 -17 +39.0444.325071

source: Unesco

di Alessandro Castagna


Europe / Italy

Lat: 45° 32' 57.37" N
Long: 11° 32' 57.05" E

Elevation: 43 mt

→ maps.google.com [EXT]

Precision is: High. Pinpoints the exact spot.

Camera: Canon 350D

Lens: Canon 10-22 regulated to 10

Tripod, Panoramic Head and accessories: Manfrotto 303SPH - 338 - 337 - 475

Software: Realviz - Photoshop

PLEASE RESPECT THE ARTIST’S WORK. All images are copyright by the individual photographers, unless stated otherwise. Use in any way other than viewing on this web site is prohibited unless permission is obtained from the individual photographer. If you're interested in using a panorama, be it for non-profit or commercial purposes, please contact the individual photographer. The WWP can neither negotiate for, nor speak on behalf of its participants. The overall site is copyright by the World Wide Panorama Foundation, a California Public Benefit Corporation. Webdesign © by Martin Geier www.geiervisuell.com