What remains of Fort Selden
is located approximately 13 miles north of Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA. The post was established in 1865 to provide protection for settlers in the southern New Mexico Territory against desperados and Indians. The buildings, with the exception of the administration building, were constructed of adobe. These mud and straw brick constructions are quite efficient in the desert climate, but they are much more difficult to maintain over extended periods of time when they aren't occupied.
General Douglas MacArthur
spent some of his formative years at Fort Selden while his father was the commander. Other notable residents at Fort Selden were units of the Buffalo Soldiers
, black soldiers who served with distinction in the New Mexico Territory in the 1860s and 70s. The fort was occupied until 1891 when the post was abandoned.
Fort Selden was designated as a New Mexico State Monument
in 1974. There is a very interesting Visitor's Center with artifacts, uniforms, weapons, and rare photos from the period.