The story of Dyffryn estate dates back to the 7th century A.D. when then the Manor of Worlton was given to Bishop Oudoceous of Llandaf. In the 16th century the manor was acquired by the Button family and the first house was built. The family occupied the estate for a number of generations.
The name was changed to Dyffryn St. Nicholas in the 18th century when the estate was sold to Thomas Pryce, who built the first building known as Dyffryn House. In 1891 the estate was sold to John Cory, who built the house we see today. Thomas Mawson, a well known landscape architect was commissioned to design a garden to complement this magnificent new house.
After John Cory's death in 1910, the estate fell to his third son Reginald. A leading figure in the RHS, Reginald sponsored several successsful worldwide plant hunting expeditions. Many of the plants on display at Dyffryn exist as a direct result of these forays, the most outstanding being Acer Griseum (Paper Bark Maple) grown from seed brought back from China by the famous plant hunter Ernest Wilson.
On the death of Reginal Cory in 1934 the estate passed to his sister Florence. On her death in 1936 the estate was sold to Sir Cennydd Traherene and in 1939 he leased the estate to Glamorgan County Council.
The gardens and buildingas are now owned by the Vale of Glamorgan Council and being restored with support from the Hertage Lottery Fund.
For further information visit Dyffryn Gardens
For a full screen virtual tour of Cardiff visit Cardiff360
For a full screen virtual tour of Cardiif visit Cardiff360.